CALL FOR ENTRIES: 56th Shell Philippines’ Student Art Competition, Including Photography

Submissions to the National Student Art Competition are until October 6, 2023.

Manila, Philippines–Shell Philippines Corporation celebrates the 56th year of the National Student Art Competition with the theme Galíng Pinoy, Galing Pinoy, highlighting the youth’s artistic talents and deep connection to the nation’s heritage. Also part of the celebration, Shell NSAC has introduced Photography, besides traditional visual art, as a new category.

Since 1951, Shell NSAC has become a beloved tradition in the Philippine art scene. From its early years, with the participation of students from the country’s leading art schools, the competition has grown in popularity. The competition initially started with oil/acrylic and watercolor categories and later reintroduced the sculpture category in 1998 alongside the new category of digital fine arts.

Over the years, the competition has reaped about 1,175 winners and has opened doors for young Filipino artists in the local and global art communities. Notable artists who won in previous years and were recognized as National Artists included Jose Joya, Federico Aguilar Alcuaz, Ang Kiukok, and Benedicto “BenCab” Cabrera. Other artists, including Ronald Ventura, Rodel Tapaya, and Leeroy New, have also gained international recognition through the Shell NSAC.

COVID-19 Challenges, Call for Photographers

In 2020, as Shell NSAC was about to celebrate its 53rd year, a global crisis forced everyone into lockdown. However, the competition adapted to the new era by moving online. Despite the challenges, Shell NSAC continued its tradition and sparked hope in the art and hearts of the nation.

This year, the competition has introduced a new category: Photography, which taps the talent of every youth photographer to capture the Filipino heritage.

The addition to Photography is a response to the digital age and the power of visual storytelling, Serge Bernal, Shell Philippine’s Vice President for Corporate Relations, explains, “In this digital age, where visual storytelling has become a powerful medium, we want to provide young photographers with an opportunity to showcase their talents and capture the essence of Filipino through their lenses.”

The competition is open to college students currently enrolled in a recognized college or university in the Philippines for the academic year 2023 to 2024, with at least nine units, and who have been enrolled in any semester for the academic year 2022 to 2023 with at least nine units. Graduates from the academic year 2022 to 2023 and Senior High School students are not eligible to participate.

Shell NSAC offers exciting prizes to its winners. The first prize includes Php60,000 in cash, a limited-edition Shell NSAC shirt and jacket, a gold medal, and a plaque. The second prize consists of Php40,000 in cash, a limited-edition Shell NSAC shirt and jacket, a silver medal, and a plaque. The third prize includes Php30,000 in cash, a limited-edition Shell NSAC shirt and jacket, a bronze medal, and a plaque. The fourth and fifth prize winners will receive Php5,000 in cash and a Shell NSAC shirt. Additionally, the school or university of the first prize winners will receive a special grant worth Php20,000 to support their Faculty Development Program.

All participants will receive a certificate of participation.

Learn more about Shell NSAC, Full Mechanics.

– Toby Denise Concepcion

Photo: Shell NSAC